- Why do I need a website?
- What type of programming goes into a website?
- Why are web sites so expensive?
- Can I maintain my website myself?
- I already have a website but it looks different in
Netscape than it does in MS Explorer, Why?
- What is a Domain Name and do I really need one?
- What is involved in website maintenance?
- Why do some web pages load slower than others even
if they don't look any bigger?
- Not everyone needs a website. You should only go
to the expense of a website if you desire to advertise a business, service
or have information you think is valuable and want others to see.
- Ziff Davis,
TUDOGS, and Hot
Wired Web Monkey have great websites for the novice developer and
explain many esoteric terms for you.
- Web sites are expensive due to the amount of work
that goes into them, the expense of the programs to make them and the
amount of time required to get them working right.
- You can maintain your own website if you have the
time and are willing to learn the programs and programming languages
- Netscape and Microsoft Internet Explorer are "Web
Browsers". They can't even agree on what colors to use, or how
they are going to interperate HTML code. When building a website it
is imperative to test each page to insure it looks the same in both.
- A "Domain Name" is the "URL"
unique resource locator. If you don't have your own domain name you
will have to use someone elses. Your website address instead of being
http://www.YOURNAME.com would be http://www.SOMEONEELSESNAME.com/YOURNAME.HTML
so the choice is yours. If you wish to have a shorter or easier to remember
domain name get your own.
- Website maintenance can be simple or very time
consuming. Just as you maintain your computer at home by running "scandisk"
and "defrag" each month so does the "server" where
you have your website installed. This will occasionally cause files
to be changed or corrupted, so that they don't look the same or no longer
work at all. "Links" should be checked (validated) each month
to insure the page they point to is still there. Search Engine ranking
should be checked to see if you are listed and how high you rank in
the results. Activity reports need to be checked to insure the "Key
words" used in the "Meta Tags" are the ones people are
using when they search for your website. Research and reccomendations
from the webmaster are sometimes invaluable when marketing your business
on the internet.
- Some web pages load slower than others due to
"Java Script" but most of the slow loading web pages are due
to the graphics or images are not being optomized properly. (Too Large)
If you have other questions please feel free to E-mail